Saturday, April 14, 2007

Cranberry-Cornmeal Biscuits

I made these today since I had the urge to bake something, but since my stomach is still unsettled and I haven't had an urge to eat much of anything for the past few days, I figured I shouldn't bake anything too heavy or too sweet. I did manage to eat one of these, though, and they are very good. This recipe originally appeared in Good Housekeeping last Thanksgiving, and I have wanted to try it since then. These would be good served with honey-butter. You could serve these for either dinner or breakfast. They have a crumbly cornbread texture and a slight sweetness. You could add another tablespoon of sugar if you prefer sweeter biscuits.

All of the cornmeal and dried cranberries in my pantry are now gone (YAY!!!), so that's two more things I've used up before my move to Vancouver. My pantry is really starting to look like I'm making an attempt to clean it out. I have two heavy, overstuffed plastic grocery bags I am taking to the food bank next week, too. I got the snappy idea to clean out my pantry at 2:00 a.m. this morning. I just got up out of bed and started doing it, then 45 minutes later I was back in bed. There's some really good stuff in the bags, but since I don't have time to make all of the recipes I wanted to make with the ingredients like I had originally planned, I want to make sure somebody else will get to use them instead. I am donating some rather great stuff from the likes of Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and Cost Plus World Market, but for good measure, I also threw in a box of chocolate Malt-o-Meal and Kraft macaroni and cheese from Publix. :)

Cranberry-Cornmeal Biscuits

Source: Adapted from Good Housekeeping

1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease large cookie sheet.

In medium bowl, stir cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt until combined. Stir in butter, then milk just until mixture forms a soft dough. Stir in cranberries.

Drop dough by scant 1/4 cups, 2 inches apart, on prepared cookie sheet. Bake biscuits 15 minutes or until golden. Cool biscuits slightly on wire rack to serve warm or cool completely to serve later.

Yield: 12 biscuits

Do ahead: Wrap cooled biscuits in foil in a single layer. Leave at room temperature overnight or freeze up to 1 month. To warm, place in preheated 325 degrees F oven for 5 minutes.



No comments: