Thursday, March 29, 2007

Chicken with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce

Since I like to bake a lot of goodies, I tend to cook primarily from lower-fat/lower-calorie magazines such as Cooking Light to counterbalance the effects of being a baking addict. In my perfect world, eating laden-with-fat cookies and lower-fat entrees is the way of life.

I had a bottle of roasted red bell peppers in my pantry screaming, "Use me, please. I've been sitting here in the dark for over six months now." Well, that wish was granted this evening when I decided to make Chicken with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce. This is so quick and easy to make, and it's a really tasty chicken dish. I halved the amount of chicken and spices in the original recipe below yet I still made the whole amount of roasted red pepper sauce. There was enough sauce for the two chicken breasts I cooked, but if you ask me, there definitely wouldn't be enough sauce for four. The sauce cooks down as it simmers. Cooking Light is rather notorious for its recipes almost always needing more sauce than written. If you make the full recipe using four chicken breast halves, definitely double the sauce.

I decided not to use any Parmesan cheese, but if you do, make sure to use real Parmesan cheese...freshly grated...not the yucky stuff in the green can. I served this with orzo and steamed broccoli. I forgot how much I love orzo, and it's perfect with this. Although I steamed some fresh broccoli since I had some I needed to use up in the fridge, I think this would be really good with green beans or zucchini, too.

Chicken with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce

Source: Adapted from Cooking Light

1 tablespoon olive oil
4 (6 oz.) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup chicken broth
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1 (7 oz.) bottle roasted red bell peppers, drained
1/4 cup (1 oz.) grated Parmesan cheese

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with Italian seasoning, salt, and black pepper. Add chicken to pan, and cook 3 minutes on each side.

While chicken cooks, place broth, vinegar, and bell peppers in a food processor; process until smooth. Add bell pepper mixture to pan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes. Uncover and simmer 3 minutes or until chicken is done. Sprinkle servings evenly with cheese.

Yield: 4 servings

No comments: