Thursday, March 8, 2007

That's a Peach (Muffin), Dear!!!

How do I love peach muffins? Let me count the ways.

(Somehow, a quote from "Caddyshack" and an adapted Shakespeare quote in the same post is just not right. But...I'm Alright.)

You know, for living in a state known as the Peach State, you would think we have the best peaches in the country. WRONG!!! There are some pretty sad looking, hard-as-a-rock, rotten peaches here in Georgia. Somehow I did manage to find two at Publix that passed my not-overly-stringent inspection, though. They needed three days of sitting time on the counter to soften a bit and to start smelling like, um, peaches, but nonetheless the time has come to chop these fuzzy bad boys and bake them into something wonderful.

So, what do they taste like? They are delicious. They are very moist, have a delicate sweetness and are abundant with chopped pieces of peaches throughout each muffin. These will be a delicious way to start the day for many mornings to come.

The original recipe called for wheat bran, 1 egg white, honey and no sugar. I used oat bran, 1 whole egg, Lyle's Golden Syrup and 2 T. sugar instead. Also, I was skeptical about using non-fat yogurt sweetened with artificial sweeteners, so I used low-fat yogurt instead.

Honey Peach Bran Muffins

Source: Adapted from Recipezaar

½ cup all-purpose flour
¾ cup whole wheat flour
¼ cup oat bran
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
¼ cup Lyle’s Golden Syrup
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup peach yogurt
¼ cup canola oil
2 T. sugar
½ cup chopped fresh peaches

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine flours, oat bran, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.

Separately, combine honey, egg, yogurt, and oil; stir well.

Pour liquid into dry ingredients; stir until just moistened.

Add peaches.

Pour into greased muffin tins.

Bake for 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Let sit in muffin pan for 2-3 minutes before serving or removing to wire racks to cool completely.

Makes 12 muffins.


4 comments:

Paul said...

These look really good! I almost made peach muffins last weekend but the peaches here were not looking good.

Mindy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mindy said...

Hi, Paul. (You can tell I'm new to this whole blogging thing...I just deleted my first comment to you.)

Anyway, let's try again...

These muffins are really good. I've tried at least 3-4 other peach muffin recipes in the past, and this is hands-down the best peach muffin recipe I have tried.

What's the deal with all of the bad peaches sitting around out there? I really need to check out a roadside stand or two to see if the peaches there are any better than what's in the stores (Publix, Whole Foods). The good thing about this recipe, though, is the peaches soften as they bake, so I'm sure that even the non-prestige peaches (which seem to be in abundance nationwide) would me okay to use in this recipe.

Oh, and last but not least...I really like your blog. :)

Paul said...

Most of the peaches I see around here in N. Illinois are from Chile right now. Plums too. I have to wait until summer for the vaunted Michigan peaches (yeah, you read that right, Michigan. That was a new one to me when I moved down here. I always thought it was supposed to be Georgia peaches).

Thank you very much! I look forward to reading more of your posts as well.