Friday, March 9, 2007

Pasta + Candy Bar Pie = Oh, my tummy aches!!!

I think I may fall asleep typing this post tonight. Between eating a big bowl of pasta for lunch/dinner today and eating a piece of Candy Bar Pie for dessert, I am miserably stuffed and currently have no plans to eat again until dinner at Brio with my neighbor/friend Colleen tomorrow night. (I say that now, but I'm sure a peach muffin will be appealing in the morning.) All I know at this point is that a long, heart-pumping and sweaty workout on the stationary bike is in order tomorrow morning. I'd like to burn at least 450-500 of the 5,000 or so calories I've eaten today. (I really hope I haven't eaten that much, but feeling the way I do right now, it wouldn't surprise me.)

I was in Florida when my brother Mike's (36th!) birthday rolled around last month, but I finally got around to making him a celebratory treat. I made the pie last night and let it chill overnight in the fridge. After tasting it, we both agree it was really good. However, Mike thought the Snickers miniatures were too hard and somewhat difficult to chew, and I thought it was just a bit over-the-top too rich and heavy. I did like the creaminess of the middle layer, though. Take my word...a small piece is all you need. I let the pie sit out on the counter for 20 minutes before cutting it, yet the miniatures on the bottom were somewhat difficult to cut through...not impossible to cut through, but I had to cut slowly and use a bit of force. If you plan to try this recipe, I would recommend using thinly sliced candy bar pieces instead and letting the pie sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes before cutting. If you decide to use miniatures, cut them in half instead of keeping them whole like I did. Use a warm sharp knife to cut the pie, too, or the top chocolate layer will crack as you cut the pie into pieces. Anyway, it's a really good recipe, but take it from me...this would be best served after a light lunch or dinner.

Candy Bar Pie

Source: Taste of Home

5 Snickers candy bars (2.07 ounces each), cut into ¼-inch pieces
1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked and cooled
12 ounces cream cheese, softened
½ cup sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup sour cream
1/3 cup peanut butter
2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 T. whipping cream

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Place candy bar pieces in the pastry shell; set aside. In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add eggs, sour cream and peanut butter; beat on low speed just until combined. Pour into pastry shell. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until set. Cool completely on wire rack.

In small heavy saucepan, melt chocolate chips with cream over low heat until smooth. Spread over filling. Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight. Cut with a warm knife.

Yield: 8-10 servings

More notes: I used 24 Snickers miniatures to line the bottom of the baked pie shell. I also used 1/3-less-fat cream cheese and light sour cream. Make sure not to use that old Peter Pan peanut butter sitting in your pantry, though. I like my brother, so I used Skippy. I also used Guittard semisweet chocolate chips (my favorite chocolate chips). I baked this for the full 40 minutes and it set perfectly…smooth top surface and light brown crust.











No comments: