Sunday, March 18, 2007

Happy Mothering Sunday, Shareen!!!

It's Mothering Sunday in Great Britain today, and I just wanted to say "Happy Mothering Sunday!!!" to my friend Shareen who lives outside of London. (I'll update this post with a picture of her precious daughter Laura when I get a newer picture of her. She's so cute it almost makes me want a child.)
Nah...just kidding.
For those of you who aren't familiar with Mothering Sunday, here is some additional information:

Mothering Sunday has been celebrated in Britain on the fourth Sunday in Lent since at least the 16th century. The custom possibly originated in the church festival of "Refreshment Sunday" when everyone was expected to revisit the church in which they were baptised, their "mother church." Many people worked away from home as servants in the homes of the wealthy so had to be given a day off to visit their home church and would naturally also be able to visit their families on this occasion; eventually this became the prime purpose of this annual visit and so "Mothering Sunday" was born.

Updated on Monday, March 19th:
I got a long, lovely email from Shareen this morning (wow, is she busy!), and she attached new pictures of Laura. Look at her fantastic red curls!!! She sure has grown since I last saw her, but I still swoon when I see her. Many (((hugs))) to Shareen, George and Laura "LuLu".

Here's LuLu the Beautiful:



No comments: