Thursday, May 10, 2007

Curried Turkey and Barley Casserole

I made this casserole this afternoon since I had time on my hands and since I was looking for anything else to do but ride my stationary bike or start cleaning out cabinets and packing boxes. Also, I wanted to use my casserole dish one last time before it makes its way to Goodwill next week (I'm donating a box of my cookware and bakeware before my move next month). From start to finish, this casserole takes almost two hours to prep, cook on the stovetop and finish baking in the oven, but the end result is worth the time involved. This is the best casserole I have made in a long time. The chewy barley, the flavorful curry powder (I used Penzey's Tandoori), the creamy sour cream and the boozy bite of the dry sherry make this casserole a real winner. Actually, I think a splash of dry sherry makes ANYTHING taste better...and this casserole is proof of that. The yield says four servings, but I'd say it more like six.

Curried Turkey and Barley Casserole

Source: Adapted from www.barleyfoods.org

1 cup pearl barley
3 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon curry powder
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 cups cooked and cubed turkey
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons dry white wine or dry sherry
Salt and pepper, to taste

In medium saucepan with lid, bring chicken broth to a boil. Add pearl barley and return to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 45 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed. Melt butter in skillet. Add curry powder and onion. Sauté until onion is translucent, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add onion mixture to cooked barley. Mix in turkey, almonds, sour cream and white wine. Season with salt and pepper and turn mixture into oiled 2-quart casserole or baking dish. Cover and bake 45 minutes in 350° F oven. Remove cover and bake 5 minutes longer.

Makes 4 servings.

Note: I used shredded rotisserie chicken instead of turkey.

No comments: