Friday, May 11, 2007

Creamy Potato Salad

It's Hockey Night in Marietta, Georgia tonight. Somehow, it just doesn't have the same ring to it as Hockey Night in Canada, eh? I'm going over to watch the Ducks/Red Wings game with my friend Kurt. I can already envision him clad in his Yzerman jersey and nervous about the game. (What do I care? My team lost in the first round.) In lieu of the cookies or brownies I usually take him, Kurt asked if I could bring "potato salad with no eggs in it" instead. Looks like we both adamantly agree on the fact that potato salad should 100% NOT have any hard-boiled eggs in it. (That's why egg salad was created, people.) I'll comment more later, but I wanted to blog the recipe and pictures while waiting for rush-hour traffic to end.

(I'm taking the remaining four-fifths of the Lemon Cheesecake Pie over with me, too. Along with some purple and green grapes for good measure. He's grilling the chicken and providing the beer for him and the bottled water for me. That's good enough for us both.)

Creamy Potato Salad

Adapted from Cooking Light Five-Star Recipes

2 lbs. small potatoes (I used Melissa's Baby Dutch Yellow Potatoes)
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
1 (2 ounce) jar diced pimiento, drained
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
1/4 cup plain fat-free plain yogurt
1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
Green onion fan (optional)

Cut potatoes into 1/2-inch pieces; place in a medium saucepan. Add water to cover. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool. Combine potato, chopped green onions, and pimiento in a large bowl; toss gently.

Combine mayonnaise and next 9 ingredients; stir well. Add to potato mixture, tossing gently to coat. Cover and chill. Garnish with a green onion fan, if desired.

Yields: 8 servings

 
 
 
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Potato salad instead of cookies or brownies? Seriously?
The eggs in the potato salad is such a southern thing. I think it's gross, too.

K

Anonymous said...

We watched the game last night too. Being from St. Louis we're Blues fans so you know what kind of season we had.

See you Tuesday.

Mindy said...

K,

I can envision a big southern picnic with a tub of potato salad full of chopped eggs and mayonnaise along with a couple gallons of sweet tea. YUK to both!!! Kurt not wanting cookies just means more ingredients to make more cookies for you. :)

Famous Amos,

See you at 1:00 Tuesday. Don't forget to bring pictures. :)