Monday, May 21, 2007

Nanaimo Bars

It's Victoria Day up in Canada, and I figured today would be a good day to post the Nanaimo Bars I made for my brother over the weekend. (And what exactly is Victoria Day, you ask? Yeah, I don't know either. Let's all learn something new today and read about it here.)

With so many recipes for Nanaimo Bars out there to choose from, which recipe did I decide to make? The one from the City of Nanaimo website, of course. The recipe is here.

This recipe is very good. However, I would suggest reducing the amount of graham wafer crumbs, almonds and coconut in the base, though. (I had a lot of the mixture leftover since I didn't want a super-thick base.) If I were to make these again, I would definitely use 1/4 cup less of each of those ingredients. Make sure you use European butter (e.g., Plugra or Lurpak) in this recipe...the butter taste is very prominent. Use quality chocolate, too. Using good ingredients is key to really bring out the flavor of these bars. Cut these bars small, too, as they are really sweet and rich.

I will be visiting Nanaimo in October (or at least taking a ferry there from Vancouver to get elsewhere on Vancouver Island), so I may be inspired to make another batch of Nanaimo Bars come fall. (There's a peanut butter version I really want to try, too, so stay tuned.)

 
















I was in a hurry to meet Mike for lunch, so I only snapped one (bad) picture, but you get the idea of what they look like:

 
Posted by Picasa

No comments: