Thursday, May 17, 2007

Oatmeal Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies

"What is 'tired', Alex?" Yes, that's the correct $200 answer in the category, "How does Mindy feel today?" At this time and in this moment, "tired" is the answer to everything in the aforementioned category. There is simply too much I have to do in the next few weeks (38 things on my to-do list so far); however, I always seem to find enough time to bake something for somebody. After all, I'm on a mission to use up all the baking ingredients in my pantry, and since I have friends willing to eat whatever I make, it's a win-win situation. I prep and bake and they sit back and nosh. Seems fair. (Well, not really, but...)

I baked these cookies this afternoon for my friend Kurt. I had a whole canister of oats to use up as well as partial bags of both semisweet chocolate chips and peanut butter chips. There is no source for this recipe because I just "winged" the recipe for my Wings fan friend. (Yeah, I know. Not funny.) Once you've baked as many batches of cookies as I have, you can (usually) just throw together the standard amount of ingredients (give or take a 1/4 cup or so) and bake a decent batch of (edible) cookies. Alas, these cookies turned out fantastic. They're thick and toothsome with just the right amount of sweetness and hints of chocolate and peanut butter. They're not too sweet, not too rich...just perfect cookies with a slightly crunchy exterior and a chewy interior.

Oatmeal Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup plus 2 T. all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter chips

In large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add egg and vanilla extract.

In medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt; mix into butter mixture. Fold in oats, chocolate chips and peanut butter chips.

At this point, cover bowl of dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Ten minutes prior to baking the cookies, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Roll dough into balls and place onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet. (I baked the cookies in two batches of 12.) Bake for 12-14 minutes. Let cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.

Yield: 24 cookies

 
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i need some cookies after that &$#@ing game last night.

dd

Mindy said...

Oh, poor Dirk!!! I would send some cookies to AZ with Kurt, but by the time he gets out there, I doubt you would want to eat them. Hope your Wings win on Sunday. Oh, wait...no I don't. :)