Sunday, May 20, 2007

New Potato Salad

My friend Kurt had his final "Balcony Barbecue Bash" (say that three times fast!!!) this afternoon, and once again, he asked if I would make potato salad. This recipe for New Potato Salad is in the current issue of Cooking Light magazine. I have tried two other Cooking Light potato salad recipes over the years, and I have to say that this is the best one yet. The tangy white wine vinegar and Dijon mustard along with the creamy mayonnaise makes a very flavorful dressing to coat the potatoes and other veggies. The red bell pepper, celery, shallots and green onions add a flavorful crunch as well as a variety of color that make the potato salad visually appealing. (This potato salad recipe is very "onion-y", though, so if you don't like onions as much as both Kurt and I do, you may want to use either green onions or shallots...not both. Personally, I think the onion flavor is the reason I liked this recipe so much.) This recipe does not taste low fat at all. It's every bit as creamy and delicious as fuller fat potato salad recipes.

I also made a batch of cookies today, but you'll have to wait until tomorrow for that recipe. I'm off to wash my face and brush my teeth before Entourage comes on.

New Potato Salad

Source: Cooking Light, June 2007

New--or young--red potatoes hold their shape well after cooking, making it easy to quarter them when tender.

1 1/2 pounds small red potatoes
1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1/3 cup finely chopped celery
5 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
1/4 cup minced shallots
1/4 cup chopped green onions
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Place potatoes in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain. Cool. Cut potatoes into quarters. Combine potatoes and remaining ingredients in a large bowl; toss gently to coat.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup)

 

 
Posted by Picasa

No comments: